Friday, November 29, 2013

"The Cuckoo's Calling" Literary Review

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well my friends and followers, here comes a review that you may not be so thrilled to read, but nevertheless, contains criticism over "The Cuckoo's Calling".

It took me forever to get through this book! Not only was it an extremely lengthy book, but it really didn't pick up until Part Three in the midst of Strike's investigation. It was a huge trial for me to get past all of the tedious investigative questions and various character interactions, but even more so to watch the protagonist, Comoran Strike's growth. He is a detective hired to investigate the Cuckoo's (a supermodel) death, yet he grapples with his own relationship issues and identity. He sleeps in his office, is tended to by a temp secretary, Robin--who I wish I had read more of in this book-- and happens to sneak his way into interviews and meetings to further his inquiries. I was too absorbed in my own impatience to enjoy this book... And the fact that this is Rowling's post-Potter work makes me frown all the much more... yes I know there wasn't going to be magic, but still, I wanted a magical reading experience with this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment