Saturday, December 26, 2015

"The Perfect Egg" is the Perfect Cookbook

The Perfect Egg: A Fresh Take on Recipes for Morning, Noon, and NightThe Perfect Egg: A Fresh Take on Recipes for Morning, Noon, and Night by Teri Lyn Fisher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have made the mistake that I think everyone has made in their lives... I've bought too many eggs. This cookbook rescued me and my fear of wasting food with classic and diverse dishes for every meal of the day that has reveling in amazement for the one and only incredible edible egg.

Authors (and chefs) Teri Lyn Fisher and Jenny Park divide the book for times of day in which these meals would be ideal (Morning, Snacks, Afternoon, Night and Sweets), but my favorite part may have been the section explaining cooking techniques and various foundational elements that the egg plays a role in within the kitchen's concoctions. Doughs, sauces and breads all incorporate eggs, and even though little 'ol me would've just thrown it in in my past life, I now know how to officially "fold" an egg into the mix.

With this book, I made a few recipes (one from each section) just to try things out. Here's what the critics (roommate, friends and boyfriend) have to say:

Morning:
Quiche- a delicious reason why I have started hosting book club brunches. The book gives you a total of 8 filling options that have all had our mouths watering.

Snacks:
Sweet Potato Egg Shoap- or Indian inspired croquettes that are sweet, crunchy and great with a cool, creamy yogurt sauce.

Afternoon:
Avgolemono Soup- best way to describe this is a Greek lemony egg-drop soup that is light to the palate, and makes your senses think they are on vacation.

Dinner:
Beef Empanadas- I've made so many that my freezer is still stuffed with them. Great to thaw for a quick treat ti provide at parties for guests.

Sweets:
Quindim- Brazilian yellow custards that rival my favorite 5 star restaurant's creme brûlée (but no worries- creme brûlée has its own recipe!)

Have I made you hungry yet? If so, get this book and crack some eggs! You won't regret it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment