Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"Curious History of Wonder Woman" Book Review

Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous HeroineWonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine by Tim Hanley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Part 1 of the Wonderful Wonder Woman Reading Challenge!

How hard it is to give a four star rating to a book about my favorite superhero.... But let's begin the debate shall we?

I picked up this book because I love Wonder Woman. And I got Wonder Woman. I got the history behind the creation, backstory, art, publications, sales and controversy with this superhero, not to mention a kaboodle of others, I.e.) Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, The Atom, etc.. If you are a comic fan, you will want to read this book for those factors alone. However, if you want to focus on just the Amazon Princess, you may be a tad overwhelmed, hence my deduction.

This book also dived into the various controversies, which was something that I found very amiable. However, there's huge sections on human bondage (she's got a lasso guys-whatever could she be using it for?! *gasp*) and marriage (because as a woman, there was a time in history in which she can only aspire to that goal), and homosexuality (the Amazons rejected men from their culture? Lesbians!. These perspectives were interesting, but lumped in with this historical perspective made the book seem a bit unorganized... I would have done a separate publication altogether.

Pick this up though my fellow nerds... You will enjoy it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment